It's almost that time…it is #VOTY time!
We are getting things underway for the thirteenth season of #VOTY – our award for automotive excellence with the audacity of gumption.
Getting to the #VOTY is the hard part. Each candidate vehicle receives a full evaluation of the format, metrics, and process is undertaken. These numbers are crunched and are presented to a Short List for panel evaluation. Then, a list of finalists is available for your vote. It is that simple.
Here is the official format of #VOTY19…
- The Long List will consist of vehicles that were for received for a full review in Victory & Reseda and in other publications written by our publisher/lead writer Randy Stern from November 1, 2018 to November 10, 2019. No vehicles driven at events or written as Quickies (unless they have been fully reviewed within the period stated above) are included in the Long List.
- The Long List will not include former winners of the #VOTY – unless the vehicle has been significantly changed from the last award.
- The candidates on the Long List will go through an evaluation process based on the data from each review. Evaluations go through each review to glean metrics from exterior design, interior space, ergonomics and comfort, driveline and performance, driving dynamics, fuel economy, and pricing. Scores are tabulated from a 1-5 scale – 5 being best – and added up for a total score.
- Additional evaluations are added to the score, based on feedback through social media on each vehicle by the readers. The more feedback a vehicle gets, the better the score – also based on a 1-5 scale. No feedback essentially means that no score is given to the candidate.
- On November 10, 2019, the Long List will be announced. At the same time, a Panel of independent media professionals and influencers will convene to review the list. They will present their choices to V&R.
- The top five vehicles as chosen based on the compilation of scores through evaluation, social media feedback, and the panel's input. These five top vehicles will become Finalists for a public vote. These votes will be added to the total score. The highest overall score becomes #VOTY19.
The timeline for the VOTY process is as follows:
November 10, 2019: The Long List is compiled and announced. The evaluation process concludes. The Panel convenes to review the Long List.
December 1, 2019: The latest when the Panel will submit their input from the Long List. All scores will be compiled. The five finalists will be announced on our social media channels. The Public Vote will commence at 12:00 PM ET.
December 10, 2019: The Public Vote closes at 11:59 PM ET.
December 11, 2019: #VOTY19 will be announced on all of our social media channels and on V&R at 8:00 PM ET.
The award will be given out at an auto show (to be announced) in the First Quarter of 2020. Expect a lot of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram traffic, along with posts on this site, promoting this year’s #VOTY. There is a hashtag to follow: #VOTY19.
The #VOTY19 should be one where there is a real winner in the end. What makes this award worthwhile is it being a social media-based award that leads to one important element in the process – you.
Are you ready for #VOTY19? V&R is ready!
PREVIOUS #VOTY WINNERS
- 2007 – Hyundai Sonata
- 2008 – Nissan Altima
- 2009 – Buick LaCrosse
- 2010 – Hyundai Sonata
- 2011 – Buick Regal
- 2012 – Dodge Dart
- 2013 – Cadillac ATS
- 2014 – Dodge Challenger
- 2015 – Lexus RC
- 2016 – Volvo XC90
- 2017 – Volvo V90
- 2018 – Lexus LC
Photo courtesy of Lexus